Woodside Petroleum (WPL)
Incorporated in 1954 and named after the small Victorian town of Woodside, Woodside’s early exploration focus move d from victoria’s Gippsland basin to Western Australia’s Carnarvon basin. First LNG production from the North West Shelf came in 1984. BHP Billiton and Shell each had 40% shareholdings before BHP sold out in 1994 and Shell sold down to 34%. In 2010 shell further reduced to 24% and effectively raised the for sale sign. Woodside has the potential to become the most LNG leveraged company globally if development projects progress. As of December 31, 2011, the Company produced around 700,000 barrels of oil equivalent each day from a portfolio of facilities, which it operates on behalf of some of the major oil and gas companies. It operating facilities include six liquefied natural gas (LNG) trains, five offshore platforms and four oil floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessels.